— Cambodia has reaffirmed its rejection of unilateral Thai maps in the border dispute, stressing its commitment to protecting the internationally recognised frontier and pressing for renewed joint demarcation efforts.
Government spokesman Pen Bona said Tuesday Phnom Penh maintains a firm position in safeguarding the boundary established by the Franco‑Siamese Boundary Commission, in line with international law and the principle of uti possidetis juris, which upholds borders at independence.
He stressed Cambodia does not recognise any modification imposed by force.
The Defence Ministry reiterated that survey and demarcation work falls solely under the authority of the Joint Boundary Commission, rejecting “any alteration” that contradicts Franco‑Siamese treaties, official maps or bilateral agreements, including the 2000 Memorandum of Understanding.
Cambodia urged Thailand to resume joint survey operations and convene a new JBC meeting.
Ministry of Interior said more than 620,000 displaced residents — about 95 percent of those uprooted by last year’s tensions — have returned home, though over 31,000 remain unable to do so.
Schools and health facilities in Oddar Meanchey, Banteay Meanchey and Preah Vihear provinces are still closed, underscoring the need for stability along the frontier.
-------------
By: Minea Son
©KPT English
See less
No comments:
Post a Comment